SubTech Conference 2018
In 2018, the IT Law Programme hosted the biennial SubTech Conference in Estonia!
- When: July 12-14, 2018
- Where: Nordic Hotel Forum, Tallinn, Estonia
- Head of Organizing Committee: Ms Anette Aav-Büth, anette.aav [ät] ut.ee
- Web: www.ut.ee/subtech2018
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/itlaw.ut.ee/
- Twitter: #subtech2018
Every two years since 1990, the SubTech conference has brought together scholars and practitioners interested in the impacts of technology on legal practice and education (both broadly defined). SubTech is unique among the ever-growing field of conferences and events at the intersection of law and technology not only for its relatively vintage origins, but also for its attention to the technology of law, as opposed to the law of technology. SubTech is informal and organized around participation; it is a multidisciplinary and collaborative forum for sharing best practices, finding new collaborators, and learning about the legal applications of emerging technologies.
Participants of SubTech 2018:
- Aapo Asp (University of Helsinki Legal Tech Lab), Twitter: @LegaltechHEL
- Aline Klingenberg (University of Groningen), Twitter: @aline_kling
- Anette Aav-Büth (University of Tartu), Twitter: @anette_aav
- Anna Ronkainen (TrademarkNow), Twitter: @ronkaine
- Anne Veerpalu (Law Firm NJORD; Legal Hackers Estonia; University of Tartu), Twitter: @anneadamson
- Caitlin (Cat) Moon (Vanderbilt Law School), Twitter: @inspiredcat
- Chas Rampenthal (Legalzoom), Twitter: @Chasramp
- Daniel W. Linna Jr. (LegalRnD; University of Michigan Law School), Twitter: @DanLinna
- David Neumeyer (Executive Director, Virginia Legal Aid Society), Twitter: @DavidNeumeyer
- Erich Schweighofer (University of Vienna), Twitter: @ESchw
- Ermo Täks (Tallinn University of Technology), Twitter: @ermotaks
- Evert Nõlv (ExtendLaw; European Legal Technology Association), Twitter: @evertnolv
- Fernando Galindo Ayuda (Universidad de Zaragoza)
- Innar Liiv (Tallinn University of Technology), Twitter: @innarliiv
- James Peters (Legalzoom), Twitter: @legaljeeves
- Jeanne Pia Mifsud Bonnici (University of Groningen)
- Jeannette Eicks (Vermont Law School), Twitter: @jeicks
- Jorge L. C. Sanz (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology)
- IV Ashton (LegalServer), Twitter: @ivashton
- Karmen Turk (Law Firm TRINITI; University of Tartu), Twitter: @turkkarmen
- Keith Guzik (University of Colorado Denver)
- Kerry Kassam (Ravel Law)
- Kevin Ashley (University of Pittsburgh)
- Laura Kask (Republic of Estonia Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications)
- Lorraine Weekes (Tallinn University of Technology)
- Marc Lauritsen (Capstone Practice Systems), Twitter: @marclauritsen
- Michael Gallagher (Take Five OÜ, Legal Advoccy Foundation)
- Mizanur Rahman (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology)
- Olav Torvund (University of Oslo), Twitter: @olavtorvund
- Risto Hübner (Nordx Legal; Legal Hackers Estonia; University of Tartu), Twitter: @ristohubner
- Roger V. Skalbeck (University of Richmond), Twitter: @weblawlib
- Signe Viimsalu (World Business Angels Forum, Tallinn University of Technology, SiGN9, Republic of Estonia Ministry of Finance)
Picture by Joonas Sisask
Topics of SubTech 2018:
Download the final agenda here.
Trends in Legal Technology in Europe
Stage setters Evert Nõlv, Ermo Täks, Risto Hübner. Open discussion.
Artificial Intelligence and Real Justice
Stage setters: Roger Skalbeck, IV Ashton, David Neumeyer, Liz Keith. Open discussion.
Free Movement of (Personal) Data and Data Monetization
Stage setters Innar Liiv, Erich Schweighofer, Jorge L. C. Sanz, Risto Hübner. Open discussion.
Presentation by the panelists.
Code is Law vs. Code is not Law
How to Prepare Law Students for Tech Developments? Do We Need to Teach Lawyers How to Code?
- Anette Aav-Büth
- Risto Hübner
- Marc Lauritsen
- Innar Liiv
- Ermo Täks
- Anne Veerpalu
- A. Lorraine Weekes
- Ave Lauringson
- Laura Kask
For a brief history and an overview of previous SubTech conferences, please take a look here: https://blog.richmond.edu/subtech/.
Sponsors and Supporters: