SubTech Conference 2018
In 2018, the IT Law Programme is proud to host the biennial SubTech Conference in Estonia!
- When: July 12-14, 2018
- Where: Tallinn, Estonia
- Contact: Anette Aav, anette.aav [ät] ut.ee
- Web: www.ut.ee/subtech2018
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/itlaw.ut.ee/
- Twitter: TBD
Every two years since 1990, the SubTech conference has brought together scholars and practitioners interested in the impacts of technology on legal practice and education (both broadly defined). SubTech is unique among the ever-growing field of conferences and events at the intersection of law and technology not only for its relatively vintage origins, but also for its attention to the technology of law, as opposed to the law of technology. SubTech is informal and organized around participation; it is a multidisciplinary and collaborative forum for sharing best practices, finding new collaborators, and learning about the legal applications of emerging technologies. Participation in SubTech is free and by invitation only; those interested in participating are invited to contact anette.aav [ät] ut.ee with a CV and an expression of interest.
- Aline Klingenberg (University of Groningen)
- Anette Aav (University of Tartu)
- Anna Ronkainen (TrademarkNow)
- Anne Veerpalu (Law Firm NJORD; Legal Hackers Estonia; University of Tartu)
- Ave Lauringson (Republic of Estonia Ministry of Economoc Affairs and Communications)
- Ave Piik (Derling)
- Caitlin (Cat) Moon (Vanderbilt Law School)
- Chas Rampenthal (Legalzoom)
- Dan Jackson (Northeastern University; NuLawLab)
- Erich Schweighofer (University of Vienna)
- Ermo Täks (Tallinn University of Technology)
- Evert Nõlv (ExtendLaw; European Legal Technology Association)
- Fernando Galindo Ayuda (Universidad de Zaragoza)
- Hannes Vallikivi (Law Firm Derling)
- Innar Liiv (Tallinn University of Technology)
- James Peters (Legalzoom)
- Jameson J. Dempsey (Kelley Drye & Warren LLP)
- Jeanne Pia Mifsud Bonnici (University of Groningen)
- Jeannette Eicks (Vermont Law School)
- John Peter Mayer (CALI)
- John Zeleznikow (Victoria University)
- Jorge L. C. Sanz (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology)
- Jose Fernando Torres Varela (Sergio Arboleda University)
- IV Ashton (LegalServer)
- Kai Härmand (Republic of Estonia Ministry of Justice)
- Karmen Turk (Law Firm TRINITI; University of Tartu)
- Keith Porcaro (Berkman Klein Center)
- Kerry Kassam (Ravel Law)
- Kevin Ashley (University of Pittsburgh)
- Laura Kask (Republic of Estonia Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications)
- Liz Keith (Pro Bono Net)
- Lorraine Weekes (Tallinn University of Technology)
- Manuel Masseno (Instituto Politécnico de Beja)
- Marc Lauritsen (Capstone Practice Systems)
- Mizanur Rahman (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology)
- Olav Torvund (University of Oslo)
- Paul Maharg (York University; Australian National University)
- Peter Wahlgren (University of Stockholm; The Swedish Law and Informatics Research Institute (IRI))
- Phil Malone (Stanford Law School)
- Risto Hübner (Nordx Legal; Legal Hackers Estonia; University of Tartu)
- Roger V. Skalbeck (University of Richmond)
- Sarah Markiewicz (Aix-Marseille University)
NB! The list will be updated monthly.
Theme of the conference
While the overall themes and schedule are under development the focal points of SubTech 2018 will be:
- Legal technology start-ups, legal bots/robots and machine readable/-usable/-processable legal acts – how to prepare law students for such developments?
- Will blockchain technology create a paradigm shift in legal systems by enabling the use of global cross-jurisdictional smart contracts (or maybe even lex mercatoria digitalis?) and how to meet such a challenge in legal education?
- Conflict of data protection, national surveillance and data embassies (public data in clouds).
We of course welcome your input, ideas and expression of interest. We will definitely also bring to the table other topics that are related to e-Estonia and are heart-warming for e-Estonians.
Preliminary schedule will be uploaded soon!
- Anette Aav
- Risto Hübner
- Marc Lauritsen
- Innar Liiv
- Ermo Täks
- Anne Veerpalu
- A. Lorraine Weekes
- Ave Lauringson
- Laura Kask
For a brief history and an overview of previous SubTech conferences, please take a look here: https://blog.richmond.edu/subtech/.