Martensi suveülikool 2018
7th Martens Summer School on International Law
Location: University of Tartu, Pärnu College (Ringi 35, Pärnu, Estonia)
Time: July 23 - July 27, 2018
Level: advanced undergraduate and MA students and professionals.
Objectives: The 7th Martens Summer School on International Law, organised by the School of Law of the University of Tartu in the Estonian coastal resort town Pärnu, will deal with the comparative aspects of international law and human rights, particularly focusing on the issues related to Russia and Eurasia. One of the underlying ideas is to bring together Western, Russian and naturally also Estonian international law scholars, practitioners and students. Each year we invite 4 distinguished lecturers from different countries and each lecturer will present 5 lectures over 5 days of the week.
The programme awards 2 ECTS with the option of 4 ECTS in case the student submits an individual research paper. This needs to be agreed upon with the programme academic manager Professor Lauri Mälksoo lauri.malksoo [ät] ut.ee prior the course.
Pärnu is the birth town of Friedrich Fromhold von Martens (1845 - 1909), the world-known Tsarist Russian international law expert and hero of a novel by Jaan Kross, "Professor Martens' Departure". Thus, the summer course will be held under the motto: "Those peoples and languages, flags and nations were present and waiting for me in my innermost consciousness long before I encountered them in the river harbour of Pärnu." (Jaan Kross, Professor Martens' Departure, Translated from Estonian by A. Hollo, New York: New Press, 1994, p. 34.)
Since 2012, each July approximately 25-30 students from all over the world attended the Martens Summer School in Pärnu.
Since 2016, the Martens Summer School is sponsored by the Estonian American Fund.
Application deadline is May 31, 2018.
A letter of motivation and CV needs to be submitted together with the application at the e-mail address martens.summer.school [ät] ut.ee .
The administrative fee is 50 EUR and it will be payable to the University of Tartu. In case your application is confirmed, the fee needs to be paid by June 15, 2018.
Successful applicants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs. However, we have made a reservation to a limited number of places in Hommiku Hostel in the centre of Pärnu.
The organizers are not responsible for your living expenses in Pärnu. However, please note that on Monday evening, the city of Pärnu will kindly offer a free reception to the participants of the summer course.
Lecturers and Topics in 2018
- Gleb Bogush, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law of Moscow State University “"International Criminal Court and the Definitions of Core Crimes in International Law"
- Nico Schrijver, Council of State, the Netherlands; Professor of International Law at the University of Leiden "United Nations Security Council and the Regulation of the Use of Force in International Law"
- Erika de Wet, Professor of International Constitutional Law at the University of Pretoria, South Africa "Intervention by Invitation: International Law and Practice"
- Rüdiger Wolfrum, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law (Heidelberg), former Director of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law “UN Security Council's Decisions Affecting Individuals: Construction, Limits and Judicial Control”
- The Annual Public Lecture will be held by Mr Margus Kolga (Estonian MFA; former Estonian Ambassador at the UN) in the framework of the reception that will be offered by the city of Pärnu on July 23, 2018, and will address the theme of “United Nations Security Council and Small States“.