Continuing Education Programme in Information Technology Law
In addition to the full MA programme, it is possible to take part in the Continuing Education Programme and obtain a certificate in IT Law. We have designed the programme for those who have already obtained a degree in law and wish to acquire additional knowledge in the field of IT Law. In order to obtain the certificate, you will need to pass the legal and technical courses of IT Law (36 ECTS). The courses are also part of the 1-year MA programme in IT Law and the groups will study together in the same classroom.
The study consists of technical and legal courses that are taught by the best legal and IT specialists from the University of Tartu and abroad.
- Title of the Programme: Continuing Education Programme in IT Law
- Official Degree Awarded: Certificate by the University of Tartu
- Faculty/College: School of Law, University of Tartu
- Language of Instruction: English
- Duration of the Programme: 1 academic year
- Amount of Credits: 36 ECTS
- Start of the Programme: August 31st, 2021
- Lecture times: Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Tuition: 76 EUR per 1 credit, 2736 EUR for the full programme.
- Accepted applicants: 5
- Apply to the Continuing Education Programme in IT Law and submit all supporting materials from February 1 until March 15, 2021.
- Decision regarding admission: May 2021
- Deadline to confirm starting the studies: June 2021
- Study period: 31.08.2021-22.06.2022
There are only 5 positions available in the Continuing Education Programme, so send your application already today!
- 4-year Bachelor's degree in Law (240 ECTS) or an equivalent qualification; or
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification and 60 ECTS of prerequisite courses in Law, including Encyclopaedia of Law; Constitutional Law; Course on EU Law; Administrative Law; Criminal Law; Civil Law, General Part; Law of Obligations, General Part; Contract Law; Property Law; Company Law.
In order to apply for the continuing education programme, we invite you to complete the following steps:
- Apply to the Continuing Education Programme in IT Law via the University of Tartu Student Information System.
- Prepare and send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Signed application (the application is downloadable here: in EST, in ENG)
- Letter of Motivation
- Copies of diplomas and certificates of previous studies (official copies of diplomas and diploma supplements or their equivalents (transcript/mark sheet) in the original language) and official translation into English by a certified translator
- Proof of English language proficiency on B2 level
- Copy of passport page stating the applicant's personal particulars.
Please make sure to mail all the documents which are originally on paper also to Study Abroad Centre, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18, Tartu 50090, Estonia by the deadline.
The evaluation of candidates to the Continuing Education Programme in IT Law takes place in two stages. Admission is based on a
- Letter of Motivation (which provides 50% of the final score) and
- Admission Interview (which provides another 50% of the final score).
Only candidates who will receive at least 50% of the points for the motivation letter, will get invited to the interview. The maximum amount of points given for the letter of motivation and entrance interview is 100, for each. For the result to be positive, the applicant must collect at least 50 points for each. The maximum final score for the motivation letter and the interview together is 100 points. After the interview, the points received both for motivation letter and interview are summarised for calculating the final admissions score, and the candidates who have gained 66 points or more will be ranked for admission.
Letter of Motivation
We use the Letter of Motivation to evaluate your readiness and interest in studying IT Law. With this in mind, please follow carefully the guidelines listed here for the letters of motivation to the MA in IT Law Programme.
Applicants who received a positive score (at least 50%) for the letter of motivation will be invited to take part in admission interview. When preparing for the interview, please follow the guidelines listed here.